Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Worship

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve always been under the impression that worship services were supposed to be about worship. This isn’t brain surgery so why is it that so many churches don’t seem to get it? Take, for example, worship music. “Holy, Holy, Holy,” or “All hail the power of Jesus’ name”, now that’s worship. Similarly, more contemporary songs, like “We love you Lord” or Majesty are also worship. But the chorus of one contemporary song goes, na, na, na, na, na, na. What’s that? Na, na, na, might be fun in a child’s summer camp, but it’s hardly worship. Another contemporary “worship” song says, “We’re living in the days of Elijah, We’re living in the days of Ezekiel.” I don’t even know what that means but I’m quite sure its not worship. Unfortunately, most of the old hymns were no better. “We shall come rejoicing bringing in the sheaves” may have been a good evangelistic song but it’s not worship. The fact is that I’ve attended churches of numerous denominations all over the country for more years than most of you have probably been alive and I have yet to find even a single church--not a single one--that took care to ensure that the songs they sing in a worship service were primarily directing praise to God. Why is that?